Shards of the Shattered Pact: Seowyn's Crossing
The Ordning is the formal organization placed upon giant-kind after the Dawn War by the Gods and the Primal Spirits. It was meant to make certain that the giants would never pose the threat to “smallfolk” that they had during the Dawn War. Under this set of rules, Storm Giants stand at the top, followed by Cloud Giants, Fire Giants, Frost Giants, Stone Giants, and Hill Giants.
Each type of giant also has a place within the Ordning that aids them in interpreting their status among their own kind:
- Hill Giants determine their place in the Ordning by how large they are. At the top are chiefs.
- Stone Giants determine their place in the Ordning through their artistry. At the top are seers.
- Frost Giants determine their place by their strength at arms. At the top are Jarls.
- Fire Giants determine their place by their skill at the forge. They have an intricate feudal system with kings and queens at the top.
- Cloud Giants determine their place by their accumulated wealth and gifts they give other cloud giants. They take the titles of Viscounts.
- Storm Giants eschew rivalry among themselves. They consider themselves equal in status – they all bear royal titles.